Thursday, November 24, 2011

Best 3 Weeks of the Year

I know it has been about four months since the Tour de France ended, but I was watching some videos on Youtube and it reminded of how much I loved watching this years tour.  Maybe the reason I loved it so much is because this is the first that I was actually watched it on a daily basis.  Don't get me wrong if I was able to I would have watched it every year but when you don't have Versus it makes it difficult to watch.

This is a great video and I think portrays what the Tour de France is all about very well.
 
This Tour de France was exciting in so many ways, from the tons of crashes and hoping that your favorite to win wasn't tied up in the crash, to the amazing displays of courage by launching attacks.  Andy Schleck was my favorite from the beginning and I watched his every move, although his moves didn't come until late in the tour, I was still very concerned with what he was doing and where he was positioned.  His attack on stage 18 had me feeling about every emotion I have ever felt.  Andy attacked with over 60K to go and the highest stage finish in the Tour de France's history, atop the Col du Galibier.  I was a nervous wreck most of the time, hoping that he could stay away and get a good gap between him and Cadel Evans.  Andy did fade at the end, but who wouldn't after an attack like that, and Cadel did an amazing ride as well.  He had no help from anybody and closed the gap down quite a lot.  There were many exciting moments through the whole tour but that attack by Andy was the best one in my book.

I think another thing that made this tour even better than it already was is my wife watched every stage with me.  She knew some things about cycling but her knowledge was limited, and if you don't know a whole lot about cycling you can understand how it might be a bit boring to watch, but she stuck with me on it.  Every night we would get home from work and watch about four hours of Tour coverage.  It was great!  My wife would ask me  tons of questions about the tactics and the etiquette of cycling and she quickly picked up on everything.  She would talk to her family and co-workers about what was going on in the Tour and explained to them the things she had been learning.  This made me so happy that the woman I love was enjoying cycling, I don't think every man is that lucky.

I look forward to next years Tour and I think 2012 will be the year that Andy is won't have to be a bridesmaid. but it will be his big day in Paris.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment